AN EXPANDED CAMPUS WITH PRESERVED CHARACTER
University of Minnesota John T. Tate Hall Renovation transforms the 1926 building and anchor of the Northrop Mall Historic District in the heart of the Twin Cities campus. The addition and renovation reimagines the 230,000-square-foot building into a new facility for the School of Physics and Astronomy and the School of Earth Sciences. In order to accommodate programmatic growth, a five-story addition connects to the existing building and provides a four-story, light-filled atrium, 30 research labs, 20 teaching labs, and ten classrooms. The project aimed to update the building for 21st century teaching and research while preserving the character of the historic building.